Rural Financial Counselling Service NSW
Free • Impartial • Confidential • Responsive
Alcohol and other drugs in the workplace
Alcohol and other drug related problems can occur in any workplace.
The abuse of alcohol and other drugs may damage physical and mental health. Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs can increase the chance of injury to yourself or others in the workplace.
Many factors have been put forward as possibly contributing to the misuse of alcohol and other drugs including:
- harassment, bullying or victimisation
- family and relationship problems
- long and/or irregular working hours
- interpersonal conflict
- tight deadlines and unrealistic performance targets
- health concerns
- high risk of personal injury or illness at work
- discrimination or prejudice
- financial problems
- corporate entertaining
- loss of control and lack of participation in any decision making process
- poor job design or hazardous work processes
- history of substance abuse.
For further information on establishing a workplace alcohol and other drugs policy, please see the guide or call 13 10 50.